Friday, October 3, 2008

Tree time...

As I write this posting. I've been waiting over 4 hours for the furnace repairman to arrive. But the waiting time has not been wasted. Oh no. I've been developing my T tree production method. The pictures below are the fruits of the 4 hours waiting...

Construction is as follows. The trunks are the same wire armature established in one of my earliest posts. I've taken that one step further by coating that in latex caulk before I spray painted the trunks. It's the foliage that is a big departure from before. On those early trees I used Woodland Scenics "fine leaf foliage", a very nice product don't get me wrong. But for my purposes it was rather fragile and not cheap. This new material is cheap however. It's those green all purpose scourers that you can buy in your local supermarket. Mine were $1.50 for two. I started by tearing one in two depth wise, so I had two pieces just half as thick. Then I tore out irregular patches of foliage that I stuck onto the branches. Quick and easy. Once the glue had set I trimmed the foliage with scissors as the tearing makes the material rather hairy. In fact you can see that even these trees are still a bit hairy so there's more trimming to do yet.
After that I gave them a spray with Spraymount and sprinkled some ground cover foam on them. I used Woodland Scenics blended turf light green and coarse turf in medium green. Spray, sprinkle. Spray, sprinkle. It's as easy as that and a pretty darned good result to boot.
They also seem a lot more robust than the previous trees. 
There were are then some pretty good trees for next to nothing. One scourer could maybe do about 12 trees of this size. Great as I have a production line of 40 lined up at the moment.
I was also working on the platform and shelter today but that's a story for later I think.

No comments: