Friday, September 18, 2009

Cultural exchange

One thing that is great about picking a prototype I know not a thing about to model is the learning.
Every last little bit of it is new to me. It doesn't matter what I'm working on.
Especially so when I comes to the subject of Japanese culture.
I've just started work on the Shinto Shrine that will sit atop the hill above the railway station.
It was enlightening enough when working on the Torii gates and discovering that there is a whole theory to the design and proportions all based around the thickness of the pillars. So much of it that I've forgotten most of it all. But the base unit of the design is the thickness of the pillars.
So to the shrine itself. For those who are following along with this it is inspired by the Sumiyoshi Taisha Shrine. Basically because I found a drawing of one of the buildings on this wikipedia page
Boy, there are so many confusing terms out there. We need only start with the Honden and the Haiden. That's confusing enough for a start. Made even more so by the fact that both buildings stand next to each other. The Honden is where the spirits or kami are enshrined. The Haiden is where the ordinary folks go to make offerings to the kami.
All the aspects of the architecture have new names Okichigi, Catsuogi. Don't ask but I do know I have to model them.
The overhang of the roof is causing me grief. It's huge. I look at it on my model and think to myself.
"That can't be right". Then I measure it out again and everything is to scale.
So I'm happy. Then I look at it again and think to myself.
"That can't be right"...
Sept 19: update having discovered some more pictures online I have decided to start again on the Honden. Nothing too serious but as soon as I saw these new pictures I realised I had no choice.

No comments: