Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hitsu, Part 2

So, I have to admit I'm pretty fired up to get working on the development of Hitsu. As I think more I begin to realise how I need to change my thinking because the scale is so small. Hitsu version 1 was built using experience gained on larger scales like OO and HO.
This was one of the main causes of having to make 100+ trees. Would I have made a HO scale model of Hitsu? Not with all those trees in it. So why did I? Because I was considering the small size of the layout over the construction involved. I'm pretty sure that if I'd worked out I'd need to make 200+ trees to populate the layout I'd be having a rethink.
I also think that the layout was too big. Those long straight sections that I had along the front just served to emphasise that fact. Some gently meandering curves would have helped that.
So what do I do next?
A layout with less trees perhaps. Japan is a very afforested country. So unless I model an urban scene I'll still be needing trees. The 100+ that I have can be recycled onto the new layout anyway.
So I need a smaller layout inspired by a less afforested location something like the coastal location in these pictures .
It's when I start to think about the planning that I realise how difficult it is to visualise a layout in this scale. I can't "see" layouts the way I do in the larger scales. Which is a little frustrating. I think the way to go about things is to just lay the track on a board until I get something I like. Then perhaps something will come to me.

No comments: