Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Spring is in the air... erm the carpet...

A cautionary tale for all prospective T gaugers.
This week I am beavering away working on bits and bobs getting Hitsu ready for Saturdays showing in St Cloud.
Last nights task, after some track cleaning. Was to change the couplers on my Yellow (Sobu line) Class 103 set, as it was prone to pushing cars off the track on the curves. I managed to change out a couple of them easily enough. Probably too easily in fact. Using a pair of tweezers the old couplers just twist out and you remove the spring, place it on the replacement coupler and twist the new unit in place.
Easy peasy, Lemon squezy...
Then I got over confident and poingggg! The spring, well it sprang. Where I don't know. I didn't hear it hit the gound so it must have fallen in the carpet. I looked but I have a dark carpet in my model railway room so it's impossible to find. Even with a torch (flashlight) and my binocular magnifier. Thank goodness no-one was around with a camera what a sight I must have presented...
So there you go. I now have two 2 car emu's. Good job a Chuo line set is waiting to be collected from the post office.
So the lesson is always be careful, have a light coloured floor covering and don't get over confident!

1 comment:

Jesse said...

Ian,
Perhaps it's an idea to vacuum the room and try to find the spring in the bag with a magnet? (are they magnetic?)

I hope you'll have more luck on the exhibition saturday!
Your enthousiasm sure must inspire others to step into T gaugee!