Sunday, February 8, 2009

Terraforming

Terraforming. Magnificent word. Right out of science fiction. I beleive that Terraformers were the principal protagonists in the recent Doctor Who story. "The Doctors daughter".
Terraformers, courtesy of imaginitive writers produce liveable planets out of what was nothing but a dead lifeless rock, basically. In a way that's what I'm up to here. Producing a beleievable model landscape out of nothing much at all.
The picture below shows how everything is starting with the main hill behind the railway station. Nothing could be simpler than cutting some white expanded polystyrene foam insulation to size with a hot wire cutter and shaping it until you're happy. The best part being you don't have to be entirely happy as you can adjust things as you go along. Slice a bit off here, add a bit there. Just glue the stuff in place.
Then cover the white foam with a base material to cover all your additions and subtractions and smooth everything out. My choice material is Lightweight spackle. Its just a pre mixed lightweight filler for filling holes and cracks prior to doing any painting on any household decorating jobs. I like it. I find it easy to handle and if you keep the pot it comes in properly sealed when stored, it keeps for quite some time. The picture below shows the early stages of covering the basic hill shape. When finished it will look like a snowscape. All nice and white.
I haven't quite got there yet. I'm still adding and subtracting and smoothing things out. I'm following the photographs on the gonou line website as a guide. But its a very different landscape to what I'm used to and sometimes I feel like things aren't quite right. But I'm sure everything will sort itself out in the end.

No comments: