Sunday, February 1, 2009

Tree reminiscing

The question was recently asked on Talking T gauge about modelling trees in T. This, of course, is something I know a bit about as regular readers of this blog will well know. Whilst researching my answer to the question I realised that I hadn't posted a description of my "tree top matting".
First of all, I must apologise for the quality of some of the pictures. These were grab shots that I used to illustrate the posting and I never got around to taking better pictures. Hitsu of course is gone now and so is the chance to take better pictures. The tree top mat still exists and will be used on Gonou.This is the base material for the mat. Just ordinary kitchen scourer pad. Torn to size and teased out to make thinner.
When you've done that. You cover it with the glue of your choice. As you can see mine was Elmers woodworking glue. In this picture also you can see the packet of the Woodland scenics foliage material I used in the next stage. This was just stuck onto the scourer pad.
That's it really. Quick and easy. No more to making the mat than that.
Next comes installing the mat. Stage one is to clear an area that you want to cover with trees and place some tooth picks in the ground, to raise the mat to what you deem to be a suitable tree top height and place the mat on top of it.
The effect as you can see in the picture below is quite acceptably realistic. The flash from my camera has made the trunks of the trees and the green of the scourer mat more visible than they actually are. Once the mat is installed on the new layout better pictures will follow.

No comments: