Friday, January 30, 2009

A troubled bridge part 2

I've spent this week working on the abutments for the rail bridge. A simple task? Oh no. If it had been a simple task this blog entry would have had a totally different title. But as you can see the bridge has definitely been a trouble causer. Perhaps it was because I was brimming with confidence (over confidence) after the lighthouse and putting together the deck so easily, that I just blundered into making the abutments. First thing to do was to cut a slice out of the riverbank to what I thought would be a good size for the abutments as you can see in the picture below. This was easy, a few cuts with a sharp modelling knife and Bingo! Done.So to the abutments themselves. I decided to build them to suit the location as neither site was the same. So I just cobbled together strips of styrene of all sorts of sizes to build them as you can see here. No real problems there.
Until I went back to them 5 days later. I decided they weren't wide enough. They were barely visible around the bridge deck. "
Make them bigger" I thought. "Easy".
So I just started sticking strips of styrene onto the abutments until I got a size that I thought would look OK. Of course this was leading to a rather fragile structure and it wasn't too long before I realised that the better bet would have been to make new ones from scratch. So thats what I did and promptly made the first replacement abutment too short...
It was then I decided to sit back, put on some calming music (My Doctor Who season 4 soundtrack CD had just arrived so that was taken care of) and start again.
Measure twice cut once. If only I'd listened the first time. So this time everything went together perfectly and lead to the bridge looking like it does below.
Only a subtle difference from last time but an essential one.
So, on with the rest of the bridge, and remember. "Measure twice, cut once"

No comments: