Monday, January 19, 2009

The worst woodworker in the world reports from the frontline

The worst woodworker in the world, that's me. The boy who was in last place in woodwork class at school in his teenage years. Girls beat me.
OK so perhaps I'm not the worst. But my inabilities with wood do severely compromise my baseboard construction. That's why I so often choose foam for my baseboards. I can work with that.
That's one reason why I chose the noticeboard as a baseboard. Ready made. A convenient size so there would be no woodworking to be done. Just slap some foam on there and away we go.
Uh-uh. Not so fast. As I mentioned in my first post of the day. the board was twisted. No problem. I can cut some lengths of 2x1 and pull it straight. Cutting the wood went OK. I even remembered to cut the correct side of my line. Then I placed the wood against the frame and found that the board was narrower in the middle by 1/2" compared to the ends.
So I've slapped loads of glue onto the frame positioned the 2x1 under it and weighted it down as you can see from the photo above. Perhaps the glue will hold and I won't have to screw it together because that give me plenty of opportunity to mess things up by splitting the wood with some screws...

No comments: