Sunday, January 25, 2009

The continuing lighthouse story

Work on my model of Torii Saki lighthouse continues and with the arrival of the ship modelling details from freetime hobbies as mentioned in my last post work is drawing to a close on it.
It was a simple task to paint the ladder and cut it to length and install it on the model. But the handrails were a different proposition. Though they look fragile they do infact take a bit of punishment. I expected them to break if I ever dropped them but they were fine, and I dropped them often enough.... They did bend very easily though. But not where I wanted them to bend. So it was quite the task to get the handrails to bend around the deck on the second floor. Still after about 45 minutes work I had it shaped and a few drops of superglue held it in place.

One final act of lunacy that you can just make out in the pictures above and below is the addition of a watertight door shaped from a piece of .010 styrene sheet.
The next task is to install the light and flashing unit. That will probably wait until just before the model is installed on the layout.
Overall I'm more than happy with the way the model has turned out to here. I pushed my self on it. Trying out new techniques and using new materials. It just goes to show that you never know what you can do until you try.

No comments: