Sunday, January 25, 2009

A troubled bridge over water...

Apologies for mangling the title of a truly classic song in the interests of coming up with a title for a blog entry. But the construction of the rail bridge for the layout has indeed been a surprising source of trouble.
I was on something of a high with the success of the lighthouse and wanted to get on with another project. I figured the bridge would be a easy change of pace for me. The inspiration for the bridge was this photograph on the Gonou line website.
Change of pace? Yes. Easy? Well the bridge deck was a doddle. A strip of 1mm thick styrene cut to the size of the deck that I wanted. Braced underneath with some 3.4 mm girder. It was the pillars that caused me problems. I looked all over in my quest to find something suitable for a short cut for the pillars. But I couldn't find anything. I think I've spent longer searching for that that building the model. So in the end I opted for laminations of different thicknesses of 4.8mm styrene strip. That size was chosen as I had some 4.8mm tube to hand that I split lengthways to make the rounded end of the pillars. Once I had that thought out the rest of the way was easy.

Really there's not an awful lot left to do construction wise. Just the handrails (I've got loads of them left from the lighthouse) and some supporting construction on the river banks and that will be it really. I could add those vertical struts that you see on the girders underneath in the prototype photograph but I worked it out I'd need 88 (44 each side) 2.5mm long and .5mm square spaced 4mm apart. I don't know if I want to do that yet. But I do have the strip and chopping the pieces to size is easy. It's just the sticking them in place. But, you know what? After the construction of the lighthouse this "easy" project has almost been a let down. Perhaps I need to put the struts on anyway...

No comments: