Monday, January 19, 2009

More progress (and a rant)

Right on we go. Cheered by my success with the baseboard. I headed to my local coffee shop to celebrate. Then on my return I set to on adding the ground work. Actually this first stage will be the sea level. I cut a sheet of 3/4" white foam to fit inside the frame . That actually sounds easier than it was, because of all the bowing inwards of the frame I had to trim slices off to get a good fit. This was then stuck in place with foamboard adhesive and placed under some weights to set for a while. Which is where everything is now. Perhaps I could have used the corkboard surface as the sea level but with the shortcomings thus far with the board I wasn't going to take any chances.
Now for a rant. Yesterday I was in a local hobby shop getting some paint for the lighthouse when I happened upon some woodland scenics expanded polystyrene foam sheets. As I knew I was going to need some for this layout I looked at the price. A 1" thick sheet size 2' x 1' was $4.99. That is an utterly obscene price when you think that I went to Menards not 2 hours later and bought a pack of 6 sheets of 4' x 14" 3/4 thick foam sold as home insulation for exacty the same price. Now perhaps it doesn't look as pristine and nice as the woodland scenics stuff. But heck, it's going to be covered in plaster bandage and spackle and all kinds of scenic materials so you're not going to notice. I love woodland scenics products and will be using them on the rest of the layout but they're really pushing things there with that kind of pricing.

No comments: