Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A random thought for the day

Through the Yahoo! Japanese Z-scale list I got wind of some T gauge track for sale. Now I won't be buying any track just yet. But it is interesting to note that the track sections are sold in packs of three. Which, when you think about it is a little unusual. If you're building a set-track layout then more often than not you need an even number of track pieces to balance up the layout. It makes sense in my mind to sell packs of four.
Is this a ploy from Eishindo to make sure you buy more track packs? Or is it just the Japanese way of doing things. I don't know. It just seemed strange to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ian, it does make some sense from the standpoint of curves: three sections form a 90-degree turn (twelve making a full circle). Four sections would make an odd angle. My take on this, anyway, FWIW...

Ian Holmes said...

I did wonder about the curves. If they are three to a right angle then that makes sense. Its another kettle of fish for the straights though.