Friday, September 26, 2008

Trees and Trains

As I write this my class 103 EMU is circling my oval of track at a not unreasonable speed. Like several other days in the week since I got it. But this time things are different. I've got some scenery! Well, of a sort. I thought it about time that I compared the trees I made earlier to the train to see how they looked size wise. Anything to give me a feel for developing a layout design for my model of Hitsu station. So I found a nice sized piece of white insulation foam, plonked the track on it and pushed the tree trunks into the foam. Here's the result.


All in all, they don't look too bad for the size. The Woodland scenics fine leaf foliage is very fragile and I think I'm going to look for something else on other trees. 
This 4' x 14" sheet of white foam looks pretty good as a size for a layout and I think this is what I will use for it. I don't often use wood for my model railway baseboards and I don't see why this layout should be any different. There's certainly no weight to worry about in the trains, that's for sure. So with a baseboard and some scenery I'm now getting some ideas and it looks like I need to order some more track.

No comments: