Friday, September 5, 2008

T -Trees

All this heady excitement during the week got me wanting to finish off my tree project. Now the popular method for producing bespoke trees in any scale is to make up armatures from wire and cover them with some sort of foliage material and these T gauge trees were to be no different. I found some small multi strand electrical wire and after cutting off the outer plastic layer I bent the strands up to a tree shape. Like below...
Already these were looking good and I was feeling pretty confident about having a workable finished product. So next I sprayed some primer on them and a light overspray of earth and dark green to kill the grey of the primer. Foliage came next and for this I reached for some woodland scenics fine leaf foliage that I happened to have to hand. I stretched it and shaped it a bit and draped it over the branches. To give the following result.

For a first effort of making trees in any scale I have to admit to being rather pleased with myself. As prototypes they certainly prove beyond any shadow of a doubt that scratchbuilt trees in T gauge are a viable proposition.
To give you an idea if scale and size, the tallest tree is approximately 30mm tall. This scales out to about a 47' tall real tree. 
On thing I did learn in the making of these is that the original armatures I built were too complex some of the branches just got in the way when I placed the foliage on them.
This definitely makes me feel even more confident about working in T.

No comments: