Thursday, November 20, 2008

All quiet on the (mid) western front

The more astute of you will have noticed a distinct last of activity on this blog over the last couple of weeks. Logic therefore, would decree that there has not been much activity with the construction of Hitsu lately and you'd be right.
The fact that I'd made close to 100 trees for the layout and needed more was a bit of a blow so I took a break from it to refresh myself. So the layout stood untouched while I went and did some work on my HO scale layout "Oneota Yard".
But last night I felt like I could face the manufacture of some more trees and set to and stained 30 more tree trunks ready to add some foliage over the next few days/nights.
To spur me on I decided to give the little trains a lap or two of the layout. I set a car up, switched on the controller and... Nothing. I gave it a poke or two got some life out of it and immediately thought.
"Dirty wheels." I took a look and my suspicions were confirmed. I hadn't cleaned the sets since I bought them so it was really a no brainer.
So I decided to sit down and clean the wheels.
The Eishindo sets come with a wheel cleaner but I couldn't get mine to work. No bother. I thought. I'll clean them by hand.
Oh Boy. This is one tough task. The wheels are 3mm in diameter and the treads are just over 1mm wide. So cleaning the wheels is a long, slow task. One hour to do one car. Obviously as it was my first one I was being extra careful. But this is the kind of task you take for granted in the larger scales. Here it's almost microsurgery.
Still I'll keep at it. Make a few trees, clean a set of car wheels, make a few trees, clean a set of car wheels...

No comments: